Monday, April 5, 2010

Ruptured ligaments

I don't think most people truly know what real ankle supports it. I read a bunch of different articles and posts from all over the web and see people say curtain shoes have great ankle support.

I try these shoes and the ankle support is not there.

I know about ankle support. My senior year of high school I ruptured ligaments in my right ankle while playing basketball. Ever since then I look for real ankle support in my shoes.

When I say real ankle support I mean the support you get from the uppers, not from the soles. Most people stand in their shoes and try to twist their ankle with the sole flat in the ground and all of their body weight is on it. From my experience, most ankle injuries happen when you step on someone else's foot. That's where the real ankle support comes in. The support provided by the uppers is much more important the fake support from the soles.

The best way to test the support from the uppers is to take the weight off of the leg, twist the ankle over and see how much support is there. Without putting weight on it.

People say Flywire shoes have good ankle support. I tried on a pair of Hyperdunks, did this test and thought these were the worst shoes for real ankle support I had ever tried on. But if you do what most people do, try to twist the ankle with the sole flat on the ground, they are great. But that's a false notion. That's why the Pistons banned the Hyperize, it has no real ankle support.

No shoe, brace or tape is going to totally prevent injury if your ankle twists over. The key is to minimize the injury. Wearing good shoes with good support from the uppers is the first, and sometimes the only, step needed.


Love you ankles.


Edited April 7-

A perfect example of this is the Air Jordan XI. If you stand in place with the sole flat on the ground it has great support. If you take your weight off and twist your ankle, it sucks. That is the main reason I sold all my XI's. I played in one pair twice and didn't want anything to do with them on a basketball court ever again.

Try this in XII's and you will feel a HUGE difference!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment