Thursday, December 3, 2009

Limited Editions

When did it become status quo for sneaker companies to have more limited edition shoes then general releases?

Limited editions used to be something special, unique. Now it's like every shoe a company produces has to have at least 10 limited editions to go with it. I say at least because anyone reading this knows most signature shoes have 15-30 "limited editions" with 3-5 general releases.

I can't remember when this trend actually started, it sort of snuck up on us.

Don't get me wrong, I like some of the LE's that have come out. I just think these colorways would have been better suited for a general release. Maybe then those GR Lebrons wouldn't end up at the Nike outlets for half price.

I also think there are just too many LE's being released. I thought the Kobe IV was done a few months ago, at this point there are like 6 more colorways still to be released. Ten minutes after the last IV comes out, the V goes on sell. Which I think I've already seen 20 different coloways of, probably all to be released before the All-star game in February and only like 2 as GR's.

Nike has so flooded the market with LE's, other companies have started to get into it. Reebok limits their various Pump models to the point that no one can actually get them. New Balance is making LE's on shoes that I could swear where only $75 to start. Change a color, limit the production to 3 pairs and charge out the ass for it. It's still the same shoe. I think And1 had a LE with the recent Tai Chi re-release. Really, And1 hads limited edition shoes?!?!?! Converse, owned by Nike, is making LE Chucks. When did Cons EVER make LE Chucks??? Never!

It's out of hand and there is nothing that can be done about. All the little hypebeasts and wannabe collectors eat this shit up. Once sneakers go out of style again, I hope things will get back to the way they used to be. That will be a great day, all the real collectors will swoop in and pick up all the good stuff for a bargain. Then all the shit will be worn out or given to the homeless and be erased from existence.

I can hope anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment